• Re: Any thoughts on Disco

From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Mantrid on Thursday, January 07, 2021 08:36:34
    Re: Re: Any thoughts on Disco
    By: Mantrid to Bob Roberts on Wed Jan 06 2021 12:01 am

Ha, i mean she's no riker or spock that's for sure. her command would be

It would be good to quote the part of the message you're replying to so we have some context to what you're talking about. Who is the "she" you're referring to?

Nightfox

---
    þ Synchronet þ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From Mantrid@VERT/UKBBS to Nightfox on Thursday, January 07, 2021 17:55:28
    By: Nightfox to Mantrid on Thu Jan 07 2021 08:36 am

By: Mantrid to Bob Roberts on Wed Jan 06 2021 12:01 am

Ha, i mean she's no riker or spock that's for sure. her command would b

It would be good to quote the part of the message you're replying to so we h some context to what you're talking about. Who is the "she" you're referrin to?

Nightfox

The conversation was around Tilly for the past few messages ----------------------
    United Kingdom BBS: ukbbs.zapto.org:64 (40cols) ukbbs.zapto.org:128 (80cols)

---
    þ Synchronet þ United Kingdom BBS - ukbbs.zapto.org
  • From Phigan@VERT/FINALZON to Mantrid on Sunday, January 17, 2021 16:08:58
    By: Mantrid to Tracker1 on Sun Jan 03 2021 04:32 pm

flat and uncomfortable, has the be the
    biggest "why are you here" character in
    discovery, and this is discovery so
    that's saying an awful lot

Just pretend it's not a Trek show and it's actually called "Gays In Space", then it's pretty good.

---
    þ Synchronet þ Final Zone BBS - finalzone.ddns.net - www.xadara.com
  • From Dream Master@VERT/CIAD to Phigan on Sunday, January 17, 2021 18:37:10
    By: Phigan to Mantrid on Sun Jan 17 2021 04:08 pm

Just pretend it's not a Trek show and it's actually called "Gays In Space", then it's pretty good.

That's a little stretch. Discovery is the anti-Trek in that the episodes follow a season-based arc instead of a per-episode wash, rinse, and repeat formula everyone got use to. I find Discovery an enjoyable and engaging story that is giving each character more depth as the seasons go on. Calling it "Gays in Space" is a stretch. Haven't you thought that maybe in the future people will stop looking at each other as straight or gay but instead fluid?

Dream Master

---
    þ Synchronet þ Caught in a Dream - Coming Soon!
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Dream Master on Sunday, January 17, 2021 22:16:29
    By: Dream Master to Phigan on Sun Jan 17 2021 06:37 pm

That's a little stretch. Discovery is the anti-Trek in that the episodes follow a season-based arc instead of a per-episode wash, rinse, and repeat formula everyone got use to.

Didn't Deep Space 9 do season arcs too?

Also, Star Trek: Picard is doing whole-season arcs too.

Nightfox

---
  • From Mantrid@VERT/UKBBS to Phigan on Monday, January 18, 2021 08:10:23

ha, honestly if something was called "gays in space" i'd expect something a lot more disco, like buck rogers turned up to 11, nothing below fabulous would be allowed
    ----------------------

---
  • From Mantrid@VERT/UKBBS to Dream Master on Monday, January 18, 2021 08:13:54

Just pretend it's not a Trek show and it's actually called "Gays In Space then it's pretty good.

That's a little stretch. Discovery is the anti-Trek in that the episodes follow a season-based arc instead of a per-episode wash, rinse, and repeat formula everyone got use to. I find Discovery an enjoyable and engaging sto that is giving each character more depth as the seasons go on. Calling it "Gays in Space" is a stretch. Haven't you thought that maybe in the future people will stop looking at each other as straight or gay but instead fluid?

Dream Master

i find that it's anti trek in that exploring social issues or ethical issues in a setting that scifi as a vehicle allows isnt there at all. putting in a gay relationship then calling it a day is as far as they go, then it's onto generic action scifi with explosions and lasers

where's the exploration, the dilemmas, the character development, even DS9 managed very nuanced and multilayered characters even thought it was a very action-packed series around war (look at sisko's gradual slide into being a war criminal versus quark's observations on the real ethics of humanity when their backs are against the wall)
    ----------------------

---
  • From Dream Master@VERT/CIAD to Nightfox on Monday, January 18, 2021 10:20:11
    By: Nightfox to Dream Master on Sun Jan 17 2021 10:16 pm

I watched one or two seasons of DS9, didn't care for it. Star Trek: Picard is doing whole-season arcs and they are more enjoyable than individual episodes.

Dream Master

---
    þ Synchronet þ Caught in a Dream - Coming Soon!
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Dream Master on Monday, January 18, 2021 12:45:25
    By: Dream Master to Nightfox on Mon Jan 18 2021 10:20 am

I watched one or two seasons of DS9, didn't care for it. Star Trek: Picard is doing whole-season arcs and they are more enjoyable than individual episodes.

Lately there have been times when I've felt tired of pretty much every TV show these days doing whole-season story arcs. You can't miss an episode and jump in anywhere anymore. And you either watch the whole season or nothing. Episodes can often end with a cliffhanger.

Nightfox

---
  • From Arelor@VERT/PALANT to Nightfox on Monday, January 18, 2021 17:00:08
    By: Nightfox to Dream Master on Mon Jan 18 2021 12:45 pm

I watched one or two seasons of DS9, didn't care for it. Star Trek: Picard is doing
    whole-season arcs and they are more enjoyable than individual episodes.

Lately there have been times when I've felt tired of pretty much every TV show these days do
    whole-season story arcs. You can't miss an episode and jump in anywhere anymore. And you
    either watch the whole season or nothing. Episodes can often end with a cliffhanger.

Nightfox

Not entirely related, but I feel like stepping in.

I like epic long story arcs in general, but they pose a lots of problems. That is the reason
    why episodic series were the rule rather than the exception not so long ago: you could
    broadcast any episode in any moment and it made no difference to the audience. This allowed for
    Halloween specials and whatever have you, even.

For the record that is why I got The Worth of Immortality organized the way it is. You get
    independent chapters that can be read in any order and are self-contained, but once you put
    them together they build a long arc.

--
    gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken

---
    þ Synchronet þ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Phigan on Monday, January 18, 2021 16:55:00
    Phigan wrote to Mantrid <=-

Only if you throw reverb on a '70s announcer reading the title.

... Destroy nothing; Destroy the most important thing
    --- MultiMail/DOS v0.52
    þ Synchronet þ realitycheckBBS -- http://realitycheckBBS.org
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Dream Master on Monday, January 18, 2021 16:57:00
    Dream Master wrote to Phigan <=-

That's a little stretch. Discovery is the anti-Trek in that the
    episodes follow a season-based arc instead of a per-episode wash,
    rinse, and repeat formula everyone got use to.

DS9.

Probably my favorite show in the trek 'verse, primarily because of the dominion war story arc.

The time and energy spent building the story line made "Into the Pale Moonlight" such a powerful episode. The couldn't have come close to that
    with a per-episode story model.

Enterprise played with season-long story arcs with the Xindi story.
    --- MultiMail/DOS v0.52
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Mantrid on Monday, January 18, 2021 16:58:00
    Mantrid wrote to Phigan <=-

ha, honestly if something was called "gays in space" i'd expect
    something a lot more disco, like buck rogers turned up to 11, nothing below fabulous would be allowed

I like how you think.

--- MultiMail/DOS v0.52
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Mantrid on Monday, January 18, 2021 16:58:00
    Mantrid wrote to Dream Master <=-

where's the exploration, the dilemmas, the character development, even
    DS9 managed very nuanced and multilayered characters even thought it
    was a very action-packed series around war (look at sisko's gradual
    slide into being a war criminal versus quark's observations on the real ethics of humanity when their backs are against the wall)

And Nog recuperating at Vic's. Loved that story.

--- MultiMail/DOS v0.52
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to poindexter FORTRAN on Monday, January 18, 2021 21:44:25
    By: poindexter FORTRAN to Dream Master on Mon Jan 18 2021 04:57 pm

That was probably my least favorite season of Enterprise. Knowing the whole season was going to deal with the Xindi, I got a bit bored with the storyline after a little while, and I wanted to see something different.

Nightfox

---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Nightfox on Tuesday, January 19, 2021 00:26:55
    By: Nightfox to poindexter FORTRAN on Mon Jan 18 2021 09:44 pm

By: poindexter FORTRAN to Dream Master on Mon Jan 18 2021 04:57 pm

That was probably my least favorite season of Enterprise. Knowing the whole season was going to deal with the Xindi, I got a bit bored with the storyline after a little while, and I wanted to see something different.

enterprise was ran by some very disorganized confused people.
    it took so long to get its footing. they constantly changed the theme song around to appease tv guide's complaints.

they ended it horribly with a holodeck episode.

---
    þ Synchronet þ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::
  • From Mantrid@VERT/UKBBS to poindexter FORTRAN on Tuesday, January 19, 2021 08:52:06
    By: poindexter FORTRAN to Mantrid on Mon Jan 18 2021 04:58 pm

And Nog recuperating at Vic's. Loved that story.

oh yeah i forgot about that, an extended story around PTSD of someone who's character was defined how young and excitable he was.

that's why I think some of these new shows aren't proper trek, they've gone a bit space opera and focus on the action and cgi.

Now for the films, i approve on those being action-based, a lot of the trek films that tried to be extended episodes were utter crap so the recent star wars like ones are definitely welcome to me, but the episodes should go back to using scifi as a framework for very specific stories to be told and thoroughly investigated with respect to ethics
    ----------------------

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to MRO on Tuesday, January 19, 2021 08:28:39
    By: MRO to Nightfox on Tue Jan 19 2021 12:26 am

enterprise was ran by some very disorganized confused people.
    it took so long to get its footing. they constantly changed the theme song around to appease tv guide's complaints.

they ended it horribly with a holodeck episode.

I thought the first couple seasons were alright, and I thought season 4 was pretty good (though ending it like they did with the holodeck seemed a little weird).

And I thought they only changed the theme song maybe once or twice.. I don't remember constant changes in the theme song.

Nightfox

---
  • From calcmandan@VERT/DIGDIST to Dream Master on Tuesday, January 19, 2021 15:29:00
    Dream Master wrote to Nightfox <=-

I actually didn't care for DS9 in the 90s as it was midway when I got home from the Navy. I later watched it when the show appeared on Netflix (years ago when I
    still had Netflix). I thoroughly enjoyed it. Sisko seemed, to me, to have realistic limitations and flaws that make us human. Picard only showed a few signs of that throughout TNG. Though I still thought Picard was the man.

I'm not fond of the new Picard series. I really tried to enjoy it.

Daniel

... Visit me at gopher://gcpp.world
    --- MultiMail/Linux v0.49
  • From calcmandan@VERT/DIGDIST to Nightfox on Tuesday, January 19, 2021 15:43:00
    Nightfox wrote to Dream Master <=-

Lately there have been times when I've felt tired of pretty much every
    TV show these days doing whole-season story arcs. You can't miss an episode and jump in anywhere anymore. And you either watch the whole season or nothing. Episodes can often end with a cliffhanger.

I'm with you there brother. I miss the terminal episode. Though, honestly, some shows play better with an arc. It does bug me that they always end with a cliffhanger:

Breaking Bad
    Better Call Saul
    The Mandalorian

Some shows play well that have multi-episode arcs, but not season-wide

Rebels
    The Clone Wars

Other shows played better without one (albeit the inclusion of season-ending cliff-hangers):

ST: Voyager
    ST: TNG
    Or any show really

• From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to calcmandan on Tuesday, January 19, 2021 12:40:50
    By: calcmandan to Nightfox on Tue Jan 19 2021 03:43 pm

Other shows played better without one (albeit the inclusion of season-ending cliff-hangers):

Or any show really

Some shows (including the above mentioned) had 2-part episodes. Those were the days when they had to say "To be continued..." at the end of the episode, because episodes were usually stand-alone stories. Star Trek: Enterprise had 3-episode story arcs a couple times.

Nightfox

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to calcmandan on Tuesday, January 19, 2021 12:47:20
    By: calcmandan to Dream Master on Tue Jan 19 2021 03:29 pm

I'm not fond of the new Picard series. I really tried to enjoy it.

I feel like I enjoyed the new Picard series more than Discovery (at least, it seemed to have a better first season than Discovery's first season). But, even the first couple seasons of Star Trek: The Next Generation weren't that great, so perhaps Picard will get better.

Nightfox

---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Nightfox on Tuesday, January 19, 2021 17:28:09
    By: Nightfox to MRO on Tue Jan 19 2021 08:28 am

And I thought they only changed the theme song maybe once or twice.. I don't remember constant changes in the theme song.

Nightfox

i binge watched it last month. they changed it about 4 times. sometimes it was little changes of tempo.

---
    þ Synchronet þ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to Nightfox on Tuesday, January 19, 2021 16:19:00

That's a little stretch. Discovery is the anti-Trek in that the episode follow a season-based arc instead of a per-episode wash, rinse, and rep formula everyone got use to.

Nightfox

Ron Moore, king of the serial story writing pointed out the reason for self-contained "push the reset button" each was because TV networks used to pre-empt scheduled programming, which eventually cause episodes to be shown
    out of order. Unless a change or addition to a character or crew member happened on the season opening episode, the issue had to be something that
    had to be resolved by the end of the episode. If a character had PTSD or a dr ug problem, it would have to be something that could be resolved in 42
    minutes and never re-occur or to have ever been noticable before that epiosde.

My favorite "reset" nitpick is when a ship survives a battle and has received 87% structural damage and will require a tow to the next starbase, then is magically in tip top shape by the next week. Voyager would piss me off
    because of this. I recall one episode where the Hirogen turned then entire ship into large multi-deck holodecks for hunting down and reviving crew
    members over and over, then the next week the ship didn't appear to have been gutted and modified. I imagine if the Borg transform a ship into their technology, it can't be reset to defaults easily either.

---
    þ Synchronet þ The Cave BBS - Since 1992 - cavebbs.homeip.net
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to Mantrid on Tuesday, January 19, 2021 16:21:00
    By: Mantrid to Phigan on Mon Jan 18 2021 08:10 am

Just pretend it's not a Trek show and it's actually called "Gays In Space then it's pretty good.

ha, honestly if something was called "gays in space" i'd expect something a more disco, like buck rogers turned up to 11, nothing below fabulous would b allowed
    ----------------------

Some times it appeared the extras were recruited from the local fetish or leather club.

---
    þ Synchronet þ The Cave BBS - Since 1992 - cavebbs.homeip.net
  • From Gamgee@VERT/PALANT to calcmandan on Tuesday, January 19, 2021 18:46:00
    calcmandan wrote to Nightfox <=-

TV show these days doing whole-season story arcs. You can't miss an episode and jump in anywhere anymore. And you either watch the whole season or nothing. Episodes can often end with a cliffhanger.

I'm with you there brother. I miss the terminal episode. Though,
    honestly, some shows play better with an arc. It does bug me that
    they always end with a cliffhanger:

Breaking Bad

I didn't think this ended with a cliffhanger. Walt is dead, and Jesse
    gets away. His later doings are chronicled in the movie "El Camino".

Better Call Saul

Not over yet. I believe a new season is about to start, or will be
    opening on Netflix, soon. Need to check on the status of this...

... Press any key to continue or any other key to quit
    --- MultiMail/Linux v0.52
  • From Gamgee@VERT/PALANT to MRO on Tuesday, January 19, 2021 20:56:00
    MRO wrote to Nightfox <=-

i binge watched it last month. they changed it about 4 times.
    sometimes it was little changes of tempo.

Wrong. It changed ONCE, at the beginning of season 3.

Have you ever been right about *anything*?

... Ignorance can be cured. Stupid is forever.
    --- MultiMail/Linux v0.52
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to Dream Master on Wednesday, January 20, 2021 12:56:00
    On 01-17-21 18:37, Dream Master wrote to Phigan <=-

That's a little stretch. Discovery is the anti-Trek in that the
    episodes follow a season-based arc instead of a per-episode wash,

Previous Trek has used arcs, most notably DS9, especially Season 7. And Enterprise had a season long arc with the Xindi. Anyway, I'm also enjoying Discovery. The ending of season 3 felt like Trek, with intellect and compassion being the factors for solving problems.

rinse, and repeat formula everyone got use to. I find Discovery an enjoyable and engaging story that is giving each character more depth
    as the seasons go on. Calling it "Gays in Space" is a stretch.
    Haven't you thought that maybe in the future people will stop looking
    at each other as straight or gay but instead fluid?

One should hope that by the 23rd century, sexuality should be a non issue (except for the people you're actually dating or having sex with). :) Where I am, it has been moving in this direction for decades, at least as far as the general population in the street goes. Some scared little people are still carrying on, but they're a small and noisy (though potentially dangerous) minority.

... A University without students is like an ointment without a fly.
    --- MultiMail/Win v0.52
    þ Synchronet þ Freeway BBS, Bendigo Australia. freeway.apana.org.au
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to Nightfox on Wednesday, January 20, 2021 12:57:00
    On 01-17-21 22:16, Nightfox wrote to Dream Master <=-

That's a little stretch. Discovery is the anti-Trek in that the episodes follow a season-based arc instead of a per-episode wash, rinse, and repeat formula everyone got use to.

DS9 really had a major arc from the end of season 2 to the end of the series, if you count the Dominion threat, and whthin that, there were many smaller arcs. Season 7 was basically one big arc in itself.

Yep. :)

... There is no greater loan than a sympathetic ear.
    --- MultiMail/Win v0.52
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to Mantrid on Wednesday, January 20, 2021 14:26:00
    On 01-18-21 08:10, Mantrid wrote to Phigan <=-

ha, honestly if something was called "gays in space" i'd expect
    something a lot more disco, like buck rogers turned up to 11, nothing below fabulous would be allowed

ROFLMAO! :D

... By The Way, what does BTW stand for?
    --- MultiMail/Win v0.52
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to Nightfox on Wednesday, January 20, 2021 14:32:00
    On 01-19-21 08:28, Nightfox wrote to MRO <=-

I thought the first couple seasons were alright, and I thought season 4 was pretty good (though ending it like they did with the holodeck
    seemed a little weird).

I think the axe fell queskly, so they had to throw that last episode together. It was a disappointment, after season 4 being so good. Enterprise really found its feet in season 4, and season 5 and beyond could have been really good, with the Earth-Romulan war firing up (from other Trek sources) around 2155-2156, which is immediately after season 4 ended.

And I thought they only changed the theme song maybe once or twice.. I

I only recall the once (at the start of season 3), not counting the two mirror universe episodes, which had their own theme music.

... Rehab is for quitters.
    --- MultiMail/Win v0.52
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Moondog on Tuesday, January 19, 2021 20:52:30
    By: Moondog to Nightfox on Tue Jan 19 2021 04:19 pm

My favorite "reset" nitpick is when a ship survives a battle and has received 87% structural damage and will require a tow to the next starbase, then is magically in tip top shape by the next week. Voyager would piss me off because of this. I recall one episode where the Hirogen turned then entire ship into large multi-deck holodecks for hunting down and reviving crew members over and over, then the next week the ship didn't appear to have been gutted and modified. I imagine if the Borg transform a ship into their technology, it can't be reset to defaults easily either.

Yeah, sometimes it seemed like things happened too fast. But I never really assumed there was exactly a week of time between episodes, even if that's how they were aired - Sometimes it seemed like one episode could take place over a timespan of hours, days, or even weeks or more. And since shows then were single-story episodes, I figured the in-universe time between episodes could be variable (though each season still represented about a year of time in the show).

Nightfox

---
  • From calcmandan@VERT/DIGDIST to Gamgee on Wednesday, January 20, 2021 14:15:00
    Gamgee wrote to calcmandan <=-

calcmandan wrote to Nightfox <=-

I'm with you there brother. I miss the terminal episode. Though,
    honestly, some shows play better with an arc. It does bug me that
    they always end with a cliffhanger:

Breaking Bad

I didn't think this ended with a cliffhanger. Walt is dead, and Jesse gets away. His later doings are chronicled in the movie "El Camino".

I was talking about the ends of episodes, not teh series. El Camino was okay.

Better Call Saul

Not over yet. I believe a new season is about to start, or will be opening on Netflix, soon. Need to check on the status of this...

THey still end with multi-arcs always in mid-stream. There's always something nagging Saul that will eventually resolve itself.

Daniel

• From calcmandan@VERT/DIGDIST to Nightfox on Wednesday, January 20, 2021 14:23:00
    Nightfox wrote to calcmandan <=-

By: calcmandan to Nightfox on Tue Jan 19 2021 03:43 pm

Or any show really

Some shows (including the above mentioned) had 2-part episodes. Those were the days when they had to say "To be continued..." at the end of
    the episode, because episodes were usually stand-alone stories. Star Trek: Enterprise had 3-episode story arcs a couple times.

By the time Enterprise came out, I was burned out on star trek. Having grown up with it, and at one point, there was not a single hour of the evening where there wasn't a star trek playing.

I may give it a shot at some point.

Daniel

• From hollowone@VERT/AMIGAC to Phigan on Thursday, January 21, 2021 11:38:00
    Phigan wrote to Mantrid <=-

By: Mantrid to Tracker1 on Sun Jan 03 2021 04:32 pm

I liked season 1 of Discovery although I saw obvious flaws built in.
    I found it refreshing but not worth continuing for longer.

I tried 2-3 episodes of season 2 and stopped following it, for no strong reason.. just got bored.

---
    þ Synchronet þ Final Zone BBS - finalzone.ddns.net - www.xadara.com

... Typing from HackinDOS, iMac converted to work natively with FreeDOS 1.2
    --- MultiMail/Win v0.52
    þ Synchronet þ Amiga City - The BBS for the Amiga - more than 4,000+ files
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to calcmandan on Thursday, January 21, 2021 08:21:24
    By: calcmandan to Nightfox on Wed Jan 20 2021 02:23 pm

By the time Enterprise came out, I was burned out on star trek. Having grown up with it, and at one point, there was not a single hour of the evening where there wasn't a star trek playing.

I've never felt burned out with Star Trek. I've always liked it and never really felt like I got tired of it.

On the other hand, there are some other long-running shows that I haven't watched in years, such as The Simpsons and South Park..

Nightfox

---
  • From Blackdiamond@VERT/ABBBS to hollowone on Thursday, January 21, 2021 17:51:53
    By: hollowone to Phigan on Thu Jan 21 2021 11:38:00

I mean, it's not like DS9 wasn't "Gays In Space" and also absolutely baller as a show.

People's memories are too short :P

---
    þ Synchronet þ Auntie Bodies BBS - auntibodiesbbs.themuldoons.co.uk
  • From Tracker1@VERT/TRN to Moondog on Thursday, January 21, 2021 17:31:16
    On 1/4/2021 11:06 PM, Moondog wrote:
    My biggest issue is the character development for the lead character is
    absolutely absent. Time after time after time this character just does
    what they decide is best, completely ignoring the chain of command or
    anything resembling an honor code. It's probably the only thing that's
    consistent in her character. She's like the a concentrated abstraction
    of everything wrong with youth in someone who should have learned better
    at this point. Most of the rest of the cast are better written at least.

I used to have a supervisor who liked slogans, such as "learning by doing," and "do it right the first time." I tried to explain part of learning is the bitter sting of making mistakes, and doing things right the first time doesn't prove you're learing anything except you haven't made a mistake yet. He had nothing to throw back at me.

Making mistakes is natural.. but making the same mistake time after time
    after time, and never really learning from them? It really didn't start
    to tick me off until this most recent season as she repeated all the
    same mistakes that she had done before... yeah, some turned out
    differently, it still isn't right.

--
    Michael J. Ryan
    tracker1 +o Roughneck BBS

---
    ­ Synchronet ­ Roughneck BBS - roughneckbbs.com
  • From Tracker1@VERT/TRN to Bob Roberts on Thursday, January 21, 2021 17:32:31
    On 1/5/2021 1:06 PM, Bob Roberts wrote:

And they made her #1. Shes a freaking Ensign and now she's second to the Captain. It makes no sense! The other bridge officers are like happy and smiling that she got the job. Oh, I'm sure they're thrilled that their
    years of starfleet career just got overlooked so some chatty redhead could run the ship.

Pretty much what they did for the movie reboot with Kirk though.

--
    Michael J. Ryan
    tracker1 +o Roughneck BBS

---
    ­ Synchronet ­ Roughneck BBS - roughneckbbs.com
  • From Bob Roberts@VERT/HOVAL to Nightfox on Friday, January 22, 2021 17:02:50
    By: Nightfox to calcmandan on Thu Jan 21 2021 08:21 am

On the other hand, there are some other long-running shows that I haven't watched in years, such as
    The Simpsons and South Park..

Awww. Give South Park another shot. Maybe try "The South Park Pandemic Special" on HBOMax.

I burned out on the Simpsons awhile ago. They still get recorded but the number of episodes waiting for me keeps growing and growing.

Bob Roberts

---
    þ Synchronet þ Halls of Valhalla =San=Francisco= hovalbbs.com:2333
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Bob Roberts on Saturday, January 23, 2021 09:47:47
    By: Bob Roberts to Nightfox on Fri Jan 22 2021 05:02 pm

On the other hand, there are some other long-running shows that I
    haven't watched in years, such as The Simpsons and South Park..

Awww. Give South Park another shot. Maybe try "The South Park Pandemic Special" on HBOMax.

It's not that I didn't like it. I just stopped watching it after a while.

I burned out on the Simpsons awhile ago. They still get recorded but the number of episodes waiting for me keeps growing and growing.

I've heard The Simpsons isn't as good as it used to be. I may have stopped watching it before it got "bad".

Nightfox

---
  • From calcmandan@VERT/DIGDIST to Nightfox on Saturday, January 23, 2021 06:38:00
    Nightfox wrote to calcmandan <=-

By: calcmandan to Nightfox on Wed Jan 20 2021 02:23 pm

I've never felt burned out with Star Trek. I've always liked it and
    never really felt like I got tired of it.

On the other hand, there are some other long-running shows that I
    haven't watched in years, such as The Simpsons and South Park..

I think I aged out of South Park and the Simpsons (which started when I was in high school mind you).

I never got into the simpsons but my wife used to check every week for new episodes, but that stopped around 2008. I haven't seen South Park since about then. We cancelled cable in 2010. Cancelled Netflix in 2017. Talking about cancelling Prime at the moment. We got nice antenna for broadcast tv but neither
    of us watch that at all. Too many ads and most broadcast shows suck butthole.

I buy most dvd's at goodwill. And for anything fresh, there's putlocker and redbox. Yeah we're weird.

• From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to calcmandan on Monday, January 25, 2021 13:30:46
    By: calcmandan to Nightfox on Sat Jan 23 2021 06:38 am

I think I aged out of South Park and the Simpsons (which started when I was in high school mind you).

I never got into the simpsons but my wife used to check every week for new episodes, but that stopped around 2008. I haven't seen South Park since about then.

I was 9 years old when The Simpsons started. I think I only really watched The Simpsons regularly (or semi-regularly) for about 5 years or so. I think the last episode of The Simpsons I actually sat down and watched completely was in 1994. I've seen bits of it and maybe an episode or two since then.

I watched South Park in 1999 to 2000 a bit and haven't watched it regularly since then.

We cancelled cable in 2010. Cancelled Netflix in 2017. Talking
    about cancelling Prime at the moment. We got nice antenna for broadcast tv but neither
    of us watch that at all. Too many ads and most broadcast shows suck butthole.

I still like to watch some shows on antenna TV. Sometimes I like to watch game shows, and I like catching the news sometimes when I have some free time, at least for local news. I guess I'm used to antenna TV having ads, since I watched antenna TV pretty much my whole life. Streaming is a relatively new thing, and even cable TV could have ads. I do like being able to watch a show without ads though.

I buy most dvd's at goodwill. And for anything fresh, there's putlocker and redbox. Yeah we're weird.

I don't see why that's weird. Sometimes I like to browse DVD & blu-ray movies at Goodwill - though I've noticed sometimes they're older editions, so I'll sometimes check that before buying one. Same with music on CDs.

I've noticed it seems like it's becoming harder to find movies released on optical disc formats sometimes. Maybe it's just now the market is going (I've heard people are not buying them as much as they used to). I recently had heard Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure was released on 4K blu-ray in the UK but not in the US. And I was at the store the other day and saw Bill & Ted Face the Music on regular blu-ray but not on 4K blu-ray. But apparently you can buy it on 4K on Amazon Prime streaming. I suppose as long as you could download the video file and play it any time you want and without DRM, I wouldn't be totally opposed to buying movies that are available as a video file rather than a disc.

I used to rent movies from Redbox, but I haven't for quite a while. And
    I'm not aware of Putlocker?

Nightfox

---