• Re: working at amazon

From hollowone@VERT/AMIGAC to poindexter FORTRAN on Monday, July 26, 2021 22:34:00
    poindexter FORTRAN wrote to Arelor <=-

Arelor wrote to Ogg <=-

Actually, there is an experiment according to which they ruin your
    hobby when they turn it into a job.

There are many cautionary tales of amateur photographers that go pro. Enjoying doing something and doing something to get paid can be
    mutually exclusive.

As my son graduates high school and considers colleges and careers I realize how lucky I am that I'm paid to play with cool technologies I couldn't afford to get my hands on otherwise.

That is sometimes true, when you can really connect the two into mutually inclusive.
    But as you wrote about, it may turn mutually exclusive as well.

I wento pro into programming decades ago while learning all that stuff as homebrew, self taught hobby.

I continued to do it both ways for years.. Just outcome domains were different. Huge databases and analytics as a pro, graphics programming and hacking into internals as a hobbyst. The second is still with me. First dropped off since I moved on and focused on management side of things.

But I believe if the first stayed forever I'd not like to do it after hours.. I'd rather like to find new hobby to complement the damn typing skill.

/h1
    --- MultiMail/Win v0.52
    þ Synchronet þ Amiga City - The BBS for the Amiga - more than 4,000+ files